Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Missing the Fun



I understand the importance of editing.  It's a critical part of taking writing from a rough draft to a stage where you're ready to share your writing with others through self-publishing, contests, traditional publication, etc.  I get that.  But I miss wearing my writer's hat.  I know I can write and edit at the same time.  But I find that when I have an editing project going and a writing project going at the same time, I want to do the writing.  Editing sits and waits because it's so much more fun to write for me than to edit.



When I'm writing, I feel alive, refreshed, joyous.  When I'm editing, it's a rough slog.  It feels obligatory.  I suppose I need to find a way to turn it from obligatory to joyous.  But it's like cleaning house.  It just seems that it's almost more work trying to find a way for it to be fun or easy than it is to just edit.  See my post a couple of weeks ago about what not to do.  I just have to remind myself that when the editing is done, I get to reward myself by putting my writing hat back on.  That will be a moment to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment