Sunday, July 24, 2016

Ticking Clock



I set the due date for my manuscript to arrive with the editor for the beginning of August.  That date felt so far away when I set it.  Now, it's around a week away.  And I don't feel anywhere near ready.  It's amazing how many things seem more urgent...or interesting... than editing, even as the due date looms large.  It's not that I can't reshuffle that deadline, but I'd like to be done with that manuscript for a while.  I love it, but I've been working on it for over two years.  I'd like to do something else for a while.

I imagine whether I end up moving the due date or not, just the act of giving myself a deadline, artificial or otherwise, will drive me to get more done.  It's amazing how inspirational a due date can be.  It's just so very tedious to change a manuscript from first- to third-person.  I know it needs to be done.  I've given the reasons it needs to be done.  I get it.  But I'd much rather watch a video, read a book, write new material with my middle-grade fiction, or clean my toilet, anything rather than back to the tedium of editing like this.  Even revision can entail a little writing and, therefore, more fun.  Ah, well.  I have nothing more important to do, really, so off I go.  Editing, here I come.

1 comment:

  1. I know the pain.
    Even though I'm just simply writing a story, the next story, or whatever project is seeming more and more interesting as I go. And it's because ive been working on the same thing forever. And need to move on. So before I do. I'm finishin it. Then be done.

    ReplyDelete