Monday, June 20, 2016

Another first draft!



Yay!  I finished the first draft of my middle-grade book Doomimals Book 1: Cock-a-doodle-DOOM. My readers in my writing group are almost done with it and tell me they're enjoying it.

I have a committee of family members reading it and eagerly anticipating each new chapter.  So much so that my little girl would not be happy until I wrote the first chapter of the next book Cat-a-clysm, plotted based on "The Three Little Kittens" just as the first one was plotted based on "Chicken Little."  They've been a lot of fun to write.

But now I have a problem: I have three drafts in various stages of completion, one that I thought was done that needs to be tweaked and two that just have a first draft.  Two need to be read aloud with my husband [and one run through my editing software] while the third needs some revision based on feedback.



And my little girl has now listened to my first chapter of Cat-a-clysm and is addicted.  She must have MORE.  Not to mention a list of other things I need to do in the day.  So now, I have to figure out how to fit everything at once.  And the increased humor in book two means book one needs to get funnier.

I wonder if there's an app for finding more time in the day, maybe expanding my day to 30 hours instead of 24.  I guess there are worse problems than having too many manuscripts, like staring at a blank page and wondering how to find those first words.  I've been there, too.  One of my early blogs covers that.  I'd rather have this problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment