Sunday, May 8, 2016

Entering a Contest



It's been a long time since I've entered a contest.  The last time I entered a contest, it was statewide.  The feedback I got was biased, personal, and not at all helpful.  So I decided to avoid wasting money and time on contests.  I've come full circle again.  It's time to try again for the sake of my resume and to help my longer writing get published.  Last time I entered Writer's Digest's competition, many moons ago, I did get an honorable mention.  I have heard winning, or even placing in, that contest gives authors positive attention that helps get writing published.  I'm also considering entering Writer's of the Future, a contest for authors of genre fiction.  I've been focusing on longer fiction, but I imagine I could polish some old writing and turn it into something really worth reading.

As I prepared to enter the contest, I pulled out a piece of mine that won first prize in a competition 15 years ago.  I've been honing my writing abilities in the last few years, so when I looked back at that story I was so proud of, I saw a lot of trimming and refinement waiting to be done.  "He Loves Me" became "Short Leash," and the story was born anew.  I don't know for sure if it will even win an honorable mention, but it feels good to be moving in a forwardly direction.  I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment