Sunday, April 24, 2016

Teaching English



I've always wanted to teach writing.  I remember sitting in my third-grade class and thinking as I wrote something, "This.  This is what I want to do when I grow up.  I want to write third graders how to write."  Then as I passed from one grade to another, the age I wanted to teach grew up with me until I reached my master's program.  At the age of 26, I discovered what I wanted to do when I grew up, aside from becoming a writer, was teaching writing in college.  That hasn't changed.  2 1/2 years ago, I applied for such a job and didn't get it, but they kept my information on file.  A couple of months ago, I was finally offered the job teaching writing to college students.  It was quite literally  a gift from on high because I'd all but given up on that dream, at least until my kids get older and I get time to think about a doctorate.  It's been an awesome blessing in my life, and it's only just begun.

One of the assignments for the class is to write a love letter to something, not someone.  I thought it would be kind of fun to try it myself.  I could write a love letter to many things around me from my cats to my house, but since this is a blog on writing, it makes the most sense to write a love letter to writing.



Dear Writing, 

I have always loved you, Writing.  I was eager to learn how to read in first grade so I could meet you.  And I did.  I spent so much time with you.  You were my best friend.  I spent time with you and your cousin, Drawing, all through my childhood and youth.  Dear Writing, you showed up in the form of stories about cats in outer space and stories about fuzzy aliens and stories about superheroes and stories about dragons.  When I was in high school, you showed up in novel form.  At the time, you were cliched, poorly written, and that version of you will never see the light of day.  However, I felt good about you.  It was so much fun to spend every day with you.  Then I went to college and got to take classes about how to get to know you better.  You become more complicated and exciting.  

Sadly, there were times I had to spend some time with you I didn't always like because I had to not because I wanted to.  For a while after college, you weren't a big part of my life.  I'd come and visit you, sometimes edit you, but not really help you develop and grow.  I joined a club to try to motivate myself to spend more time with you.  It sometimes worked.  I'm sorry I turned my back on you like that.  

Then, finally, when my kids got older, I decided it was time to take our friendship seriously.  It was time to really immerse myself in our time together.  And finally, Writing, you have become one of my best friends again.  We spend quality, fun time together every day.  So many times, I think about how I'd rather be spending time with you than with whatever I'm doing at the time.  I'm so thankful we've grown so close, dear Writing, and I look forward to our time together in the future.  

Love, 

Tamara



And there you are, a fun little exercise to help me experience the assignment along with my students.  I am so richly blessed, between my four jammie jobs, jobs that I can do at home in my jammies: teaching online, writing my novels, being a mommy, and transcribing college classes [free education!]  I'm so thankful today.






No comments:

Post a Comment