Monday, April 11, 2016

Making Sense



Right now, I'm working on making my story make sense.  The first thing I do, after some work on characters and getting the basic concept down, is to write whatever comes to mind from the plot.  Oh, I need a scene where my characters fight?  Great.  Sit down and write it.  Somewhere, there's going to be a flashback about how Robin got her pig?  Awesome!  Sit down and write it.  I blogged about this previously.  I call it quilt writing.  I first create the quilting squares of writing, or scenes, then sit down and put them together.  A couple of weeks ago, I assembled the spinal column of my story.  Now, I'm working on making sure all the bones fit where I put them.  When they don't fit, I put them somewhere else.  For instance, I wrote a scene in which one character reacts to another's negativity.  When I wrote the scene, I didn't know where it would fit in the story.  When I figured out where it had to go, plotwise, he hadn't yet learned some of the factors that went into his reaction.  Those bits had to be cut.  It hurt.  I wanted them there.  But I needed that scene right there for the plot to make sense.  



Some people may say at this point, "Then why don't you start out with an outline?  It would save you time in the end."  For some authors, that works great.  They figure out the plot line, outline it, then flesh it out by writing it.  I'm trying something similar on the side with my mid-grade children's story series Doomimals.  But I run into a lot more walls and run out of steam a lot more often when I have to figure out the dreaded What Comes Next.  It's just not the way I think, the way I function.  I thrive on making sense out of chaos.  If I don't have chaos, I don't have material.  Either this makes sense to you, and you should read on, or this doesn't make sense, and you should ignore me and work with your outlines.  

I heard a writer say everyone uses outlines.  They may do it first or they may do it later.  I suppose that's true.  But I have discovered to keep my creative juices flowing, I can't outline until the characters have told me what's going to happen in the story.  I don't really know the details of what's coming until they come out of my fingers.  If I don't know the details, what do I have to outline?  



If you're a chaos writer, one I've heard referred to as a "by the seat of your pantser," and you're finding neat outlines and chronologies aren't working for you, sit down and start your quilt squares.  Write something, anything, every day, from a character description to the most dramatic moment in your book to a scene that is just for you because the reader doesn't need this much detail.  What happens ANYWHERE in your story or even before or after your story?  Do you have a vivid image of your final scene but no idea where to start?    Do you have a really great idea for a flashback?  Sit and write it.  Get those juices flowing.  Make your squares, and eventually, a beautiful quilt may just come out of it, even if some of those squares never get used.  

No comments:

Post a Comment