Monday, February 22, 2016

Shakespearean Bits



I mentioned a couple of posts ago that I would be employing Shakespearean plot points and scenes in Pigs Fly.  I've always liked Shakespeare.  I find it fun to do reads of the scenes from Much Ado about Nothing as if I were my characters.  So far, I have used a scene from it to have Robin, my female protagonist, insult Connor, my male protagonist.  It made a nice foundation for banter.  Last night, I found another useful scene with which Robin's friend can help her start to understand her real feelings for Connor.  Sometime soon, I'll use yet another scene for actual love declarations.  I may yet find other bits to employ.  So far, it's been exhilarating.

I said before that I would use major plot points, but I don't want to slavishly adapt the story.  First off, it doesn't make psychological sense to me that a basically nice guy would believe a rumor about the love of his life, that he would wait 'til his marriage to confront her about it, and that she would then be close to suicide because he criticized her in front of everyone.  Okay, maybe I could see it in Utah.  Maybe.  But then if this "nice guy" did all that, would his girlfriend then want him back later?  I don't know.

I don't really want to write about a "nice guy" who would do all that.  Maybe I'll revisit it with a real adaptation later when/if it does make sense to me.  Instead, I'm merging the bad guy who starts the whole drama and the "nice guy" fiance into a jerk who is trying to ruin Robin's innocent cousin's life.  I'm boiling down the cast of characters to the most essential, including the main two characters, the innocent cousin, and the bad guy, throwing in a few additional characters to complete the story.

I've read adaptations of Jane Austen novels in LDS fiction, but I have yet to find any Shakespearean LDS stories.  Maybe I'm missing something.  But it does seem like it's an area where there is space to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment