Monday, March 7, 2016

Children's Book

I've been pondering how to reach out to a family in my area whose four-year-old son, Jaxton, received the diagnosis of stage four cancer.  I don't feel rich but felt there was something I could do.  After hearing his mommy talk about all the community support she's received, it came to me:  I can write and draw.  I gave her a hug and expressed empathy since my little niece went through cancer treatments that ended a year ago with the declaration that she was cancer free.  I'm sure my niece's story brought that mother some hope, but I wanted to do more.  I wanted to reach out to the boy directly.  So I told his mom I would write him a story.  I asked what animals he liked, then I turned his story into a children's book just for him, peopled with his favorite animals and illustrated by me but colored mostly by my kids.  It feels good when one's writing and other talents can be turned to help others, both my talents and my kids' talents.  I hope to be able to find other ways to help as well.  I know I'm not alone in wanting to reach out to those who are having a hard time.  I'm just thankful for the chance to do it and hope it brings some amount of comfort.


No comments:

Post a Comment